Friday, June 7, 2013

How I became Koreanized (Part 2)

Now let's get on with my Koreanized story! The beginning of my story has been laid out here, so you might wanna check that out if you're curious. 

I left off saying that I watched all of 'Ah! My Goddess' after seeing the movie sequel of it. Then I found out some of my friends watched anime series and not just anime movies. They started talking about 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' and even my own brother said that I'd like it. So I watched it. And it was followed by countless other series. I think I'll make a page on what I've seen. Look up.

Through all of this I was really glad that my posse had the same interests in anime as I did. I think I would have been very socially awkward if I didn't have my posse. Well it was more like two posse members were otakus (anime fans) and the rest just put up with it. Those two, E and N (I'll use their first initials), ended up going to this pretty big anime convention in town during the summer with me of freshman year, and we've been going every summer since. 
E as Hatsune Miku
N on the right as Rin or Len Kagamine (I don't know which). E's sister in the middle.
There were so many series to watch, and I watched a good deal of them. It took me a while to be okay with watching subs. I think I only watched dub until I found out my ultimate FAVORITE anime 'Darker than Black' had a sequel that wasn't dubbed yet. I was pretty happy with my otaku-ness and I had good friends that accepted me for who I was and didn't make me feel like I had to act cool or like a prep. 

It was around the beginning of sophomore year that I watched Gee. I don't have a clue how I came across it or why I watched it. But I do remember that when I first clicked on it....I thought that because it wasn't Japanese, it was crap. I didn't even listen to more than 20 seconds of it. Yes you may kill me now. I'd want to kill myself too. For some reason I was stuck in rut and thought anything that wasn't Japanese sucked. Sigh. I was stupid, I know. I must have thought that it was Japanese because of the thumbnail on the YouTube video. That's the only reason that I can think of why I clicked on it. Buuuuut if I didn't have my love of Japan background, I wouldn't have clicked on it at all. This is why my otaku roots are important.

Sometime at the beginning of 2012, E and her cousin were over at my house for some reason. It was normal for E, but her cousin and I didn't know each other very well, so I was shy. We were watching music videos on the computer and the cousin had a great idea. She showed us 'Sorry Sorry' by Super Junior, 'Ring Ding Dong' by SHINee, and 'Gee' by Girls' Generation. We laughed at their ridiculous outfits and the funny Engrish that filled each song. We all laughed, but I think I was the only one who was genuinely interested. After they left that day I watched a few hours worth of K-pop music videos, mostly of Girls' Generation. 

I was enthralled with all of it. I loved the hot boy bands and the adorable girl groups. I started memorizing the names of all the BIGBANG and SHINee members and downloading their top hits to my iPod. I loved K-Pop! When I first saw 'Fantastic Baby' I saw video in the sidebar that said 'Kpop Music Mondays: Fantastic Baby'. So I clicked on it and watched some weird couple give an outstanding review of the music video. They were Simon and Martina of Eat Your Kimchi, and I have watched almost every single video of theirs. I'm not too fond of their fan club name, but you can call me a Nasty.

One night when BFF Mari was over, we spent about two hours of me showing her all of my favorite K-Pop music videos. I'm not sure if she enjoyed it at all, but she sure did like the crotch thrusting in SS501's 'Love Ya'. But now my best friend understood my biggest passion, and she has supported me ever since. She's recommended colleges with good Korean programs and says that we are going to go to Korea together at some point. When I told her that we probably won't go together and that she'll instead be visiting me, she was ecstatic. 

In March of 2012, I was on Netflix and I came across this TV series. It was a Korean drama called 'My Princess'. I said why not.


No comments:

Post a Comment