Friday, June 14, 2013

Drama Review: 응답하라 1997 (Answer Me 1997)


My first drama review! I'm trying out something new, and I figured since I just finished this drama I should review it.

Synopsis: 성시원 (Sung Shi-Won) who is played by A Pink's 정은지 (Jung Eun-Ji) is a normal teenager in the late 1990s who obsesses over the band, H.O.T and doesn't have the best grades. Her best friend since birth, 윤윤재 (Yoon Yoon-Jae), played by Superstar K winner 서인국 (Suh In-Guk), is pretty much the exact opposite of her. But when feelings grow beyond the 'just friends' stage, their lives change forever. They have four other friends, 모유정(Mo Yoo-Jung) played by Penny Pinchers' 신소율 (Shin So-Yul), 도학찬 (Do Hak-Chan) played by Sechskies' 은지원 (Eun Ji-Won), 강준희 (Kang Joon-Hee) played by Infinite's 호야 (Hoya), and 방성재 (Bang Sung-Jae) played by 이시연 (Lee Shi-Yeon). Throughout the story you are brought to the present at their high school reunion. Here you learn what happened in the end, but not to whom, which is really frustrating.
From here on til the final conclusion are spoilers for those who haven't seen it, so I'd suggest you skip them!


Favorite Moment: It would definitely have to be Yoon-Jae's confession. Suh In-Guk put forth some excellent acting and made me want to cry. The emotion in this scene was the highest out of the entire drama. I don't think it was overdone or blown out of proportion at all. It was the perfect mix of sadness and relief.


Favorite Actor/Actress: Hands down, it'd have to be Jung Eun-Ji. This was her first role ever and she nailed it. Even though she was whiny, she wasn't the typical whiny, snobby, rich girl that pop up in dramas. She was completely endearing and fit the role perfectly. She was funny and had great chemistry with all the other actors. Even though she's a K-Pop idol, she didn't come across as the typical idol who can't act well. But the best thing is that she was real and normal. She wasn't so over-the-top that she was unrealistic, but instead made me see my own personality in her. She comes across as very understandable.


Favorite Couple: Duh, the main one. They've been together since birth and know each other inside out. The only thing I think they should have done is not confuse me in the beginning when I thought they were brother and sister.
Honorable mentions include: Sung Shi-Won and her besty Mo Yoo-Jung. They remain friends through everything including a change in favorite band by Yoo-Jung.


That Magic Touch: The cameos and appearances were hilarious. Have an actual member of Yoo-Jung's favorite band, Sechskies, play the role of her boyfriend. HA! When Shi-Won went to go see Tony Ahn, the guy playing him was the actual Tony Ahn! Or at the anniversary when Yoo-Jung says she's so into Infinite, and Hoya is in Infinite. Priceless. It's the little references that, it you understand them, are soooo funny.


The most feels: Oh, Joon-Hee. You were in such a sticky situation since everybody wanted your crush to get together with the other girl. I was glad you told said other girl though, because it led to some great moments. Having a gay character in dramas is becoming more accepted, but in a drama set in the 90s? I am proud of the writer for doing this even though it may have received scrutiny. I feel sad for Joon-Hee, but whoever that person was in that red car at the end, I hope the two are happy.


What this taught me about Korean: Whoah. Busan dialect is really different. Seoulites and Busaners can understand each other sometimes, but they actually have to learn each others dialect, it's that different. Usually I'm able to pick up a fifth of what they're saying. But it was far less with this drama. The change of city was appreciative though, since most all dramas are set in Seoul.

Final Conclusion: I loved this drama! I don't know why I put it off for so long, but I'm kind of glad that I didn't start it before it finished, otherwise I'd be so anxious that I couldn't be able to stand it. There was barely a part about it that I didn't like. The 45 minute episodes go so fast, but they move along just fine. Even though I was just a baby in the 90s, I understood the characters and the setting just fine. The tvN network is continuously putting out great dramas and this was no exception. Even though the majority of the cast are singers before they are actors, I give this drama a 10/10. Trust me, that doesn't happy a lot. If you haven't see this drama yet, then go watch it right now. You won't regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment